Wild Birds Unlimited Weekend Retail Sales Associate
Wild Bird Store Team Member
Part-time, with increased hours as skills are learned and business needs require.
- Wage starts $10.50/hr with review at 3-mos. Pay rate will increase as skills grow.
- Work Schedule: will ALWAYS include WEEKENDS and various weekday shifts to meet needs of the business.
The Essential Functions of the Job:
Our Associates are the face of Wild Birds Unlimited, and provide a positive, high-energy customer experience for customers who feed wild birds and love nature. An excellent associate successfully establishes good rapport with each customer, listens carefully to their needs, and helps them increase their enjoyment of the hobby of backyard bird feeding by offering educational information, explaining options to meet their their needs. You’ll learn all about birds’ adaptations and needs, which species occur here and when, and many aspects of avian life to share with customers. First and foremost, though, is your ability to create a high-energy, enthusiastic customer experience. Our goal is to provide quality products, service, expertise and a high energy shopping experience. Help customers bring nature into their own backyards and lives. Come apply to join our team!
- Previous retail or public interaction experience preferred, but not required.
- Ability to lift and carry seed (50 lbs.) to our customers' cars – a foundation of our service!
- Position is part-time, 2 weekend days with added hours, sometimes many hours, at holidays or if other staff are absent. A flexible schedule and the ability to work weekends are required.
- The Essential Functions of this Position
- Customer Service: Our sales style is relationship-oriented and happy customers are our goal...not only a sale! Every customer is greeted upon entering our store, 100% of the time. Our new team member will be expected to contribute to the overall sales efforts and will often be cashier at a sales register, with training in its ins and outs. Through our training program, we will educate you on typical birds customers will see in their yards, so you will eventually be able to help customers solve problems as they may arise. You will answer customer questions once completely trained, and you’ll have lots of opportunities to gain considerable knowledge.
- Knowledge and use of bird food and related bird feeding products: Our Sales associates do not necessarily need a high level of knowledge of and/or experience with feeding backyard birds; but some knowledge of some bird foods and typical birds that come to feeders is ideal. But you do not need to be an expert birder at all. A strong interest in birds is important, though.
- Answering Phones: Will politely answer phones and direct customer or vendor inquiries to the appropriate person or take notes for someone to respond to.
- Cashier Duties: People skills are foremost; must enjoy interacting with our very wonderful customers. Must be able to quickly learn how to use our registers and understand about various types of sales as they occur. All team members function as cashiers and are responsible for accurately transacting all types of sales, including various discounts and exceptions. Must be comfortable and at ease working on computers and have documented experience handling cash and using a computer-based cash register.
- Stocking and Merchandising: We all do stocking, pricing and merchandising products under the direction of the Person-in-Charge (PIC) or supervisor. Must be able to work standing, walking, bending, moving, or lifting all day. Must be able to repeatedly lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Maintain Work Area Cleanliness: Maintain the cleanliness of the merchandise and store in general. Help keep bagging area and back storeroom clean. Will often be the end-of-day clean-up person sweeping floors, etc. May assist with monthly cleaning and moving products in order to enable effectively cleaning behind product areas.
- Work Schedule: This team member will start with a 2-3 day a week work schedule that will ALWAYS include weekends. Store Hours: M-Sa, 10 AM – 6 PM and Sun, 11 AM – 4 PM. The typical normal workday is 6-8 hours with a 30 minute unpaid lunch period and two 10 minute paid breaks. Our goal is to have team members have two days off together, but those days will not be weekends.
- General Attitude: Must have a positive demeanor, be friendly and enthusiastic, enjoy engaging with customers and fellow team members, be willing to take direction from fellow senior team members, and and be eager to contribute to the company in areas other than specific job description as needed/required from time to time. Our energetic team seeks someone who will be a good fit with our present wonderful staff members.
The Basic Duties:
- Provides a positive, high-energy, friendly experience to every customer, from all walks of life, of all ages and abilities.
- Listens to customers' questions, then uses product, bird information, and available resources to assess their needs and make suggestions, helping them select products that are right for them.
- Accurately ring in sales on the POS sales and inventory system, correctly add customer contact information,
- Input discounts as directed,
- Restock shelves, accurately bag and label seed, and restock products following procedures,
- Accurately receive and price arriving merchandise, and once trained, receive inventory into computer POS system,
- Perform opening and closing operations,
- Help prepare for and assist during monthly evening educational seminars and events,
- Assist with ordering, operational paperwork, bookkeeping preparation, etc.
Education & Essential Basic Skills
- College education preferred; minimum high school diploma/GED or equivalent
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written), including strong relationship-building skills
- Proven problem-solving, time management and organizational skills
- Excellent basic math skills
- Able to focus quickly and read rapidly-changing electronic displays
- Ability to be on your feet much of the day, or moving on the sales floor or stock room. Will work in and around seeds, nuts and other food goods.
- Ability to maneuver merchandise and lift up to 50 pounds; heavier merchandise with team assist. Must be able to repeatedly lift bags or boxes to shelves overhead. May carry products up to 1 block in all weather conditions. Physical activities include engaging in repetitive motion, bending, kneeling, twisting, stretching, pushing, pulling, lifting, climbing, carrying, walking, reaching and/or using a step stool and ladder frequently.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays. Added hours are required during busy seasons and occasional evenings.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm about nature and birds and a willingness and ability to learn more.
Essential Customer Service and Sales Skills
- Provides a positive, high-energy, friendly customer experience to every customer
- Delivers friendly and professional service to allow customers to complete their purchase in a timely manner.
- Minimum 2 years’ successful experience interacting with the public in a busy environment; retail experience preferred; proven experience using computer POS system to ring up sales. Quickly learns how to make appropriate sales modifications as required.
- Minimum 2 years documented experience using PC computers to create or modify files, including use of Microsoft applications, and databases.
- Assists or directs others in administrative tasks such as writing orders, determining needs using POS reports, works with Excel and database functions to gauge need and ordering levels.
- May lead or assist with merchandising display implementation or changes, relocate elements, moves fixtures as needed to create display units, restocks merchandise as directed by staff in charge.
Essential Relationship-Building Skills
- Acts to create mutually successful relationships and demonstrates a positive, enthusiastic and professional demeanor with team members, vendors, delivery personnel, managers, and owners to foster a positive work environment. Embraces diversity and supports our nature-oriented customers.
- Attends monthly store meetings, contributing ideas, insights and suggestions.
- Accurately completes administrative tasks such as writing orders, determining need levels using databases and other programs, works with Excel and database to gauge order levels in consultation with owner.
- Completes accurate and legible paperwork and computer documents; completes other administrative duties as may be needed from time to time.
- Adheres to store policies and procedures regarding personal and store security.
- Communicates security concerns to management.
- Maintains good housekeeping standards to help present a clean and well-presented store. Helps keep front-of-store and backroom clean & organized. May sweep, clean windows, mop, take trash out, and perform similar maintenance tasks.
- Adheres to dress code and maintains professional appearance to allow all customers to be comfortable when shopping.
Sales Associates start as part-time hourly employees and may become full-time as they successfully learn how to help our customers and take on additional assignments and tasks. Associates report to the store owner or, when the owner is absent, to a lead associate or assistant manager.
The job description and other aspects of the job listed on this job posting should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an associate in this job. Associates are required to perform other related functions as assigned.
How to respond:
- Mail or bring your Cover Letter, Application, References and Resume off at
Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene, 2510 Willamette Street, Eugene OR 97405.
Alas, it is likely that we won’t be able to respond to all applicants, but we will try! We will contact you for an interview if you appear to meet our applicant criteria. Thank you for your interest in this position.