How to Clean Your Bird Feeders
Keeping feeders clean is an important part of feeder maintenance. Clean and sanitize your feeders on a regular basis. This can be every few weeks or more frequently.
Here is a video to help explain visually, too:
List of supplies needed to clean your bird feeder:
- Dish Soap
- Tube Feeder Brush
- Scrub Brush
- Bleach – regular household bleach
- Measuring Cup
Steps to Properly Clean Your Bird Feeder:
- Discard old food and debris from the feeder
- Fill tub/container with hot water and some dish soap
- Thoroughly scrub the feeder with brushes and/or rags.
- Be sure to really scrub the insides of the feeder and the perches.
Brushing is important to dislodge any biofilm the bacteria might create to protect itself...
- Thoroughly rinse all parts
- Use a tub/container to create a bleach solution of nine (9) parts water to one (1) part bleach
- Soak feeder for 5-10 minutes rotating it to submerge all parts
- Remove from bleach solution and thoroughly rinse all parts
- Let the feeder dry completely